Thursday, July 16, 2015

It's Sunny and 86° today

After a long hiatus from my blog, I thought it was time to get back to writing. So much has changed since my last post, from births to deaths, new to old, I just don't know where to begin. Therefore, I will start with my most recent trip home to Pennsylvania to visit my family.

Over the Forth of July weekend, my husband, boys, and I traveled to visit my family in Pennsylvania. It has been a few months since we visited and our last visit was in April for the unexpected death of my grandfather. When we lose someone close to us, it is sad, but can also be a celebration of the amazing life lived.

My grandmother passed 7 years ago and it is comforting to know that after many years, my grandparents are reunited in heaven. There are so many wonderful things I loved about my grandparents. From the way you felt when you walked in the door, to the quirky little things each one of them would do, at the center was love.

When I was home in PA, I was able to visit their home and while there, I came across one of my grandmother's journals. One thing about my grandmother, she spent hours doing her daily devotions, studying her Bible, writing and cleaning.

Being sentimental, I managed to snag the journal and read through it. My grandmother's journal is what got me writing again. I realize that my grammar does not need to be perfect and my sentence structure will not be diagrammed, but writing things down will help to remember my amazing life.

Each day when my grandmother would write, she would document the weather, what she was doing that day and what many of the other family members were doing. It was heartwarming to read about her baking her famous butterscotch pies to take to the church dinners and canning to make her tomato juice and raspberry jam. My grandmother was one of the strongest ladies I knew. Despite her severe arthritis and back and knee problems, grandma Laura would constantly be on her hands and knees cleaning the floor. As I read her journal, I am thankful not only to have these memories to reflect on but also for modern technology and the Swiffer.

Thank you Grandma for the reminder of how blessed we are each day and how we should never take advantage of the time we have. I look forward to reminiscing more on my next trip home.


The photo below is one of my favorites. 

Michelle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment